1701news.com/

Genre Nexus - We Get Entertainment 1701 News |  Airlock Alpha

Sign-In [?]

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed
Lin: 'Beyond' Will Acknowledge Nimoy's Death

PLUS: Director says he took on a 'rescue mission' of 50th anniversary film

Leonard Nimoy pulled himself out of a semi-retirement to portray Spock for the first time in nearly two decades when he appeared in 2009's "Star Trek," and again four years later in "Star Trek: Into Darkness." So it's only fitting that Nimoy's passing last year finds its way into "Star Trek: Beyond," and director Justin Lin says he couldn't move forward without it. "It's something you'll see in the film," Lin told Film Journal International, according to TrekCore. "It obviously affected everybody because he's been a big part of our lives. There's an attempt to acknow ...
 | Apr-11-2016 | 
0
Comments
Justin Lin Takes 'Star Trek 3' Helm

UPDATED: Film receives July 8, 2016 release date; 'Fast & Furious 6' director steps up to replace Roberto Orci

Justin Lin will direct "Star Trek 3," according to Deadline. Having helmed four installments of The Fast and the Furious franchise, Lin takes the reins from J.J. Abrams, who departed to helm Disney’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” "Star Trek 3” is now in pre-production and will open in theaters on July 8, 2016 in time for the franchise's 50th anniversary. Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the sequel's script with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, had been positioned for the directing chair, but he stepped down from the job earlier this month. The film would have been his direct ...
 | Dec-23-2014 | 
0
Comments
The Search For 'Star Trek 3' Director: Orci Out

Writer and producer could make way for Edgar Wright

It looks like Roberto Orci will not make his directorial debut in the Star Trek franchise after all, removing himself from the role of succeeding J.J. Abrams for the planned "Star Trek 3." It's not clear why Orci is no longer the director, according to Variety, but the nod to give him the job had created some question among fans and other observers who feared a big budget production was a tough way to break into such a key role. However, Orci had been working on the Trek franchise since the Abrams team took over, part of the writing team behind "Star Trek" in 2009 and " ...
 | Dec-6-2014 | 
0
Comments
Simon Pegg Backs Orci As 'Star Trek 3' Director

Actor says the franchise writer is the 'most Trekkie' candidate from J.J. Abrams' camp

Simon Pegg is voicing support for Roberto Orci's bid to direct "Star Trek 3." Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions are eyeing Orci -- co-writer of "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" -- for the job, but an official announcement has yet to materialize. The decision will reportedly involve the quality of the script, which he is penning with co-writers Patrick McKay and John D. Payne ("Boilerplate"). If signed, Orci would make his directorial debut and replace J.J. Abrams, who departed to helm "Star Wars Episode VII." "I'm really happy he's doing it as it's ke ...
 | Aug-11-2014 | 
0
Comments
Orci Says Trek Films Finally Past Origins

5-year mission will now begin

If there is one thing new "Star Trek 3" director Roberto Orci is doing differently from his predecessor, J.J. Abrams, it's being a little more open on what fans can expect from the newest film. And it seems like finally, after two films, the crew of the rebooted USS Enterprise is past the origins stage, and will finally head into deep space. "In this movie, they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen," Orci recently told Geoff Boucher in his "Humans From Earth" podcast. "They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adven ...
 | Jun-28-2014 | 
0
Comments
'Star Trek 3' Recruits Two New Writers

J.D. Payne, Patrick McKay will script sequel alongside Roberto Orci

Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions have signed J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay to script "Star Trek 3" alongside Roberto Orci. Alex Kurtzman ("Transformers") and Damon Lindelof ("Lost") will not return to write the new installment, which remains untitled. Orci co-wrote the first two films with Kurtzman, and Lindelof joined them to pen "Star Trek: Into Darkness." Paramount and Skydance are eyeing a 2016 release date for the sequel in time for the franchise's 50th anniversary. Payne and McKay are the writers behind "Boilerplate," an adaption of the graphic novel abo ...
 | Dec-7-2013 | 
0
Comments
So Is Star Trek Back On TV, Or What? Roberto Orci kinda says yes, or did he? It all comes down to what appears to be an off-camera conversation one entertainment reporter had with current film Star Trek scribe Roberto Orci.Orci didn't exactly say that Star Trek was coming back to television. But his cryptic "Watch this space" to reporter Joe Michalczuk indicates that either Orci knows something that no one else does, or that director J.J. Abrams is now out of the loop since taking over the Star Wars franchise. (That's because Abrams just re-affirmed recently that there was nothing on the table in terms of a Star Trek televisions series.)So what's ...
 | Oct-15-2013 | 
0
Comments
Find Out How Khan Almost Wasn't Khan

EXCLUSIVE: Roberto Orci provides new secrets behind 'Into Darkness'

It may have been a little after the 30th anniversary of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," but there remains a contingent of Star Trek fans who remain unhappy about the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch resurrected Khan Noonien Singh in "Star Trek: Into Darkness." However, there was a long period of time when Khan almost didn't make it into the picture at all. That and more have been revealed by one of the film's writers, Roberto Orci, during an exclusive interview he conducted with the Mission Log podcast. "Khan was i ...
 | Sep-11-2013 | 
0
Comments
Orci: No Such Thing As Coincidence On Star Trek Writer shares insight with Twitter during 'Into Darkness' remote screening This story contains spoilers for "Star Trek: Into Darkness."It would be great to believe that every word, every action that appears in a movie like "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is carefully prepared with an eye on the future.While there are some who might not believe that after seeing the latest Star Trek film, one of its writers says it's not very wise to assume."No such thing as a coincidence," writer Roberto Orci told fans Thursday night during a rather impromptu "Into Darkness" Tweetalong that took place to celebrate the digital release of the film on Apple's ...
 | Aug-23-2013 | 
0
Comments
J.J. Abrams: Making 'Into Darkness' Honors Star Trek

EXCLUSIVE: While film respects existing fans, it was not made for them

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" is now at warp speed, showing in theaters worldwide. And it's earning praise from fans of the franchise and relative newcomers alike. When discussing his approach to making the sequel, director J.J. Abrams told 1701News that, as a newcomer to the Star Trek franchise, he went boldly forward with a movie that was not made for fans alone. However, his ultimate goal was for "Into Darkness" to earn the respect and the admiration of existing fans in the same way that he has for them. With this in mind, the writing team behind the movie -- Roberto Orci, ...
 | May-18-2013 | 
0
Comments