“Star Trek: Beyond” has shifted production from a three-month shoot in Vancouver to the United Arab Emirates, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The cast and crew arrived in Dubia earlier this week for a 13-day shoot using locations around the city and at Dubai Studio City.
“We came searching for the future and we found it,” said producer Jeffrey Chernov, noting the city’s forward-thinking architecture.
“We’d drive around Dubai and look at things and we’d have to figure out how we can use those visual guides to tell our story,” he said. “I’d see a building and say, ‘We have to figure out how to put that in our movie.'”
Among the actors joining the move to Dubai was Idris Elba, who is rumored to play a key villain in “Beyond.” Elba recently spoke to MTV about his character’s mysterious role in the sequel.
“I think ’Star Trek’ has prided themselves as being quite classic when it comes to villains, like ’he’s a guy who wants to end the world,’ there’s no doubt about that,” Elba said. “But in this version of the film, there’s a slightly different twist to that.
“It’s quite an interesting journey, which I think is groundbreaking for the franchise. But, it still keeps with the ’classic bad guy is a classic bad guy’ tone.”
With filming in Vancouver wrapped, Elba describes his experience on set as “hard” work.
“I’ve been doing 18-hour days,” he said. “It’s tough work, but I’m looking forward to people seeing this film.”
“Star Trek: Beyond,” directed by Justin Lin (“Fast & Furious 6,” “Scorpion”) from a script by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung, is set to open in theaters July 22, 2016 in time for the franchise’s 50th anniversary.
The film is produced by J.J. Abrams (“Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens”) and Roberto Orci. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Pegg, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Sofia Boutella and Elba.