1701news.com/

Genre Nexus - We Get Entertainment 1701 News |  Airlock Alpha

Sign-In [?]

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed

Is Star Trek: The Experience Finally Returning To Vegas?

Robin Leach - yes, that Robin Leach - says it's a serious rumor

For many years, Robin Leach wished viewers of his "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" to have "champagne wishes and caviar dreams." But now he has a message for Trekkies everywhere wanting to venture to Las Vegas — Star Trek: The Experience is returning.

Leach, now a columnist for the Las Vegas Sun, reported Thursday that after an eight-year absence, The Experience is being resurrected. This year. In Las Vegas.

Without providing any other details, Leach said The Experience is expected to reopen at Linq Promenade. That Vegas attraction opened in March 2014 at Las Vegas Boulevard South as part of the city's infamous strip. It's located across the street from Caesar's Palace between The Linq Hotel & Casino as well as Flamingo Las Vegas.

The promenade's primary attraction is a 550-foot Ferris wheel known as the High Roller. It also boasts more than 300,000 square feet of space consisting primarily of stores, restaurants and entertainment.

The Experience was originally located at what is now Westgate Las Vegas, about two miles northeast of Linq Promenade. It opened in 1998 at what was then known as the Las Vegas Hilton, and remained a popular attraction until "Star Trek: Enterprise" went off the air and there was a dearth of new movies, which caused the attraction to be closed in 2008.

There had been hopes of reopening The Experience at a new location, Neonopolis Mall, in 2009 in time for J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek." However, those plans fell through, and Neonopolis Mall developer Rohit Joshi lost licensing rights in 2011.

Just like Joshi, any new Experience will be different than the original attraction, which included the bridge from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as well as the Promenade business area from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine." All of the props and sets were either auctioned or destroyed in 2010, meaning any new experience would have to start from scratch.

Neither CBS Corp. nor Paramount Pictures, the companies that own Star Trek, have made any announcements about any new permanent Star Trek attraction in Las Vegas.

Even Leach says fans should take his report with a grain of salt. His "wicked whispers and racy rumors," as he calls it, are something that he says Las Vegas loves, because "many do come true."

Whether the return of Star Trek: The Experience is one of them, we'll just have to wait and see.

1701News has a strict policy against April Fools jokes and pranks taking place on its news pages. Although this story was posted on April 1, it is a legitimate story. Read more about 1701News' policy on April Fools stories on our Facebook page.

Source: Las Vegas Sun


Mission Log Podcast

Mission Log Website»

You might also like: